Just as the name suggests, the colour of these mushrooms is white to off-white come and they come in a variety of sizes: Jumbo, Large, Medium or Small (Button).
White mushrooms are the most popular mushrooms in Canada as they have subtle taste and can be eaten raw or combined in a variety of dishes.
Mild taste which blends well with other vegetables.
Flavour will intensify as cooked.
With such a versatile flavour, white mushrooms can be served in many different ways includes: sautéed, roasted, stuffed, and in soups or salads.
Also referred to as "Brown" mushrooms, they are a similar size as White mushrooms however have a firmer texture. Crimini mushrooms also vary in shades of light-tan to a rich-brown colouring.
- Full-bodied and an earthier flavour which tends to be more intense than white mushrooms.
- Can be used as a substitute for white mushrooms, and particularly go well with beef dishes or in soups.
Portabella mushrooms are actually fully grown crimini mushrooms. As a result of extra time to grow, Portabellas develop larger caps of up to 6 inches diameter. Portabellas also have the same light tan to rich brown colouring as Criminis.
- Similar earthy flavour as Criminis however because of their size, they take on a rich meat-like texture.
- Can be grilled, roasted or sliced and added to dishes. Because of their meaty taste and texture, Portabellas are a great meat substitute and make for a great vegetarian "burger".
Signature's Sliced Mushrooms with Seasoning
Our mushrooms are packed with nutrients, low in fat, and cholesterol free. Signature’s sliced mushrooms with seasoning makes it simple and delicious to include mushrooms with every meal.
Enjoy our seasoning with mushrooms or your other favourite sautéed vegetables.
Try our sliced mushrooms with any of our 4 diverse flavour seasonings:
- Teriyaki Seasonings
- Herb and Garlic Seasonings
- Sundried Tomato & Parmesan Seasonings
- Spicy Thai Red Curry Seasonings
Shiitake mushrooms have a large, dark brown, umbrella-shaped cap which can span 2 to 4 inches in diameter. Unlike white or crimini mushrooms, they have wide open veils with tan gills. Shiitakes also have a curved stem which should be removed upon preparing.
- Distinct woodsy flavour and Meaty texture when cooked .
- Soft, spongy texture when uncooked.
- A great addition to stir-fry, pastas or soups and appear most commonly in Asian cuisine.
- Not typically eaten raw.
Oyster mushrooms have a unique funnel-shaped cap and can range in colour from grey, pale yellow and off-white. They are an open veiled mushroom and have off-white gills which start from the stem,
- Velvety texture and a delicate, mild flavour.
- Sautée with butter to enhance the flavour. The delicate texture goes well in pastas, with seafood or chicken.
- Can be eaten raw or cooked.
Enoki mushrooms have long, thin, white stems with tiny, firm, button-like mushroom caps. Typically Enoki mushrooms come with the root base which should be trimmed before preparing.
- Mild and delicate flavour
- Crunchy texture
- Goes well in soups but can be added to salads and sandwiches. Commonly found in Asian cusinine.